Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Blanching and Freezing Fresh Asparagus


First of all, let me say I LOVE fresh Asparagus! It's got to be one of my all-time favorite Spring vegetables. When I find it fresh at a good price, I always buy some and freeze it.


I don't much care for it canned, even though I love the convenience of food in jars. Asparagus is just meant to be eaten fresh or fresh-frozen in my opinion, unless you are going to pickle it, and I love pickled asparagus.

RECIPE
Ingredients
Several bunches fresh Asparagus
Water to boil
Sea Salt
Ice in a sink with water

Method
Cut bottom ends from Asparagus spears. Add about 2" of water and 1/2 tsp. of sea salt to a large saucepan, cover and bring to a boil over high heat.

Add Asparagus spears and return to a boil.  Once water is boiling again, set the timer for 2 minutes.


Drain and immediately plunge Asparagus into ice water.


Repeat with any remaining spears until all Asparagus is blanched.  Lay all spears out on paper towels and allow to dry 30 minutes.


Place all Asparagus spears on a large cookie sheet covered with parchment paper (or wax paper) and place on the top shelf of your freezer to flash freeze for 1-2 hours.


Remove from freezer, place as many spears as you want into a zip-top or food-saver bag, seal and freeze.  I do mine as 10 spears per bag.  Place bags in the freezer to store.

Enjoy,

Mary

© Cooking with Mary and Friends. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Cooking with Mary and Friends with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.